9/25/12

Taylored Expressions September Studio Challenge


It's time for the Baker's Dozen Studio Challenge.  This is a monthly opportunity for us to share what makes our stamping studios hum.  Each month we will have a fun, crafty question so we can share our favorites, some tips and tricks, stamping advice and more.

The question for September is:
Within Arm's Reach - What do you keep within arm's reach at your stamp table?  Show us what you have access to without leaving your seat.  What organization methods do you use?  Tell us which ones you love and which ones you'd like to change.



After raising four daughters I finally have an office/craft room of my own. I have been in my room for about nine months now. I still need pictures on the walls, and some personal touches, but I am thrilled to have a place of my own. I have two work areas and I can roll my chair between them. I also work from home at times and I need the room to be a functional office as well. 

I did clean my room before I took these pictures so it is neater than usual! But I always clean up between each project, even if I am going to start another one. I drives me crazy when I am spending time looking for things. I have lots of drawers and storage so I look fairly organized at least on the outside!



On the far right of my desk I have two stacking paper trays. Each one holds the stamps and dies for new releases I am working on at the moment.  Next is a Lazy Susan that holds many of the tools I use all the time, like paper piecers, pencils, glue pens, scissors, glitter and gel pens. 


Next is another desk organizer that holds stamp blocks, my Crop-A-Dile  and corner rounder, punches, a sketch pad, etc.





I couldn't live without my OttLite. The large dome gives great light for coloring and creating and I like the styling of the lamp.

I also keep my laptop on my desk. Need it for work but love to watch my favorite shows on it while I am coloring and creating!



keep my Copics to the left of my desk. I have them divided into color families in pencil cups from Staples and long with my Copic Chart for matching colors. I like that I can grab the cup of Copics I want to work with and set them next to me on my desk.




At the moment I am storing my inks in a drawer in the main desk. I like having them close, but I am considering purchasing a unit to store my inks in. I have trouble keeping this drawer organized. Tim Holtz inks are favorites of mine to sponge on the edges of paper. 



The next desk drawer down houses all my favorite, can't live without adhesives! 



The bottom drawers on each side of the desk are file drawers and contain my 81/2 x 11 cardstock. I added file tabs to help me locate the color I am looking for, especially at night. 



Next to my desk I have a storage unit that stores my dies. On the top in cups are my border dies. My drawers are divided into categories like doilies, flowers, outdoor themes like the sun, clouds, grass, etc.  I do plan to label the drawers when I have a chance.


I can turn and roll my chair over to my sewing machine and my Big Shot, certainly two tools I couldn't live without. I keep threads and needles in the drawer on the right. 


I keep 6 x 6 paper pads in small containers I got at Micheals. According to the holiday or season at the time, I keep my red bucket full of papers and embellishments. Right now I am working on Halloween and Fall projects so my bucket contains paper pads for the season, bingo cards, black and orange twine, ribbons, buttons, etc. I take a little time at the beginning of the season to go through my stash to look for items that might work for that time of year. 


Off to side of my desk is my paper cutter and Scor-pal. We all know we can't live without those tools!

Well, that is it for me. Now we will see how long my desk keeps this clean! Be sure to visit the other Baker's Dozen Blogs for even more inspiration!



Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. What a sweet space Melody!! Love the way you organized the 6x6 papers and your adhesive drawer is SO organized! I LOVE that OTT light of yours - sooo beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melody! Your room is so neat and tidy and so pretty! I love your dark furniture - so classy. I wish I had drawers close at hand, because your divided drawers are so awesome! Thanks for giving us a peek behind the scenes! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful room you have and your organization is amazing! I'm so happy you have your own space now, it was definitely worth the wait! Love the peaceful feeling of your office!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on getting your own room---love it..it is so neat and beautiful. Love your ink drawer..looks organized to me--might have to do that myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful space, Melody! I love how you have drawers for many of your supplies and how they are close by but not all out in the open!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! Your Crafting room is Soo Fabulously organized Melody!! Even your drawers are so neat and tidy ! Goodness! Love the professional and peacful feel to your Crafting room! And Congrats on having you won room too! So Wonderful! 8-)

    Hugs
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how organized you are! Your ink drawer is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melody, I wish my space looked as neat and clean as yours! Love your space!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful to have so many great (and colorful) supplies right at your fingertips! Thanks for sharing your space.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the way you divided the drawers..great space!

    ReplyDelete