8/19/13

MFT's August Creative Challenge - Felt

Welcome to MFT's August Creative Challenge! The MFT Design Team Creative Challenge is a monthly feature, where we are challenged to explore our creative side using a specific theme, product, or technique. This month, we've challenged the design team to get creative with felt. 

Be sure to check out the MFT Blog for a list of all the designers who have a project to share with you today. 


I have a couple of projects with felt to share with you. My first project is the cover of a mini album I have been working on for a friend. 

To create the base of the cover I used the largest die in the Mini Album Bracket STAX Die-namics. I cut one cover in the white felt and one in a light weight chipboard. After I added the hand stitching to the edge of the felt, I adhered the felt to the chipboard, and the added large eyelets for the binder rings. 

The sentiment is from the Baby Onesie Stamp Set. The sentiment in stamped in Sweet Tooth Ink and the heat embossed with with white embossing powder. 


In each corner I added flowers and leaves cut from felt in Bubblegum, Banana Split, Razzle Berry, and Sour Apple.


I added a few buttons, threaded with floss. All the flowers and leaves are adhered with a glue gun. The flowers are cut with the Mini Hybrid Heirloom Rose and Royal Roses Die-namics. The leaves are cut with the Royal Leaves Die-namics.


My second project is a home decor piece for my studio. My first craft was sewing. I had purchased this wire dress form almost a year ago with the idea of altering it. The Felt Challenge was just what I needed do it!!


To create the skirt a cut a piece of black felt long enough to wrap around the waist and overlap about an inch. I ran a basting stitch along the top of the tulle and gathered it to fit the felt. 


The roses and leaves are made with Wild Cherry, Sweet Tooth, Sno Cone, and Sour Apple Felt and cut with Mini Hybrid Heirloom RoseRolled Scallop Flower,  Rolled Rose Die-namics. I tied measuring tape twill and lace around the waist and added a few stick pins, buttons and rhinestones. (Links to all the felt, flower and leaves die-namics are listed below.)




Here are the products I used for the cover of the mini album:





Here are the products I used for the dress form:


Thanks for stopping by!!

Photobucket

Pin It

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful projects Melody! That little baby album cover is so pretty and the dressed up dress form looks fantastic! Love all the beautiful felt blossoms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love the cover of the mini album Melody...so beautiful and soft with all those felt flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me at hello with that sweet baby album, Melody, and then you follow it up with that amazing, seriously - amazing, dress form. I could study that waist bouquet for hours! LOVE the colors, and my favorite is the stick pin-thimble combo, so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That album could NOT be any sweeter Melody! It's just precious! Your dress form...well, I think I am pretty much speechless...can that come and live in my craft room? GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love, love the dress form {sigh} the measuring tape ribbon, the spools on the beaded pins are clever details!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. BEAUTIFUL projects, Melany! Love that sweet mini album, and the dress form is STUNNING!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melody, these are both fantabulous !!!!!!
    I love love love that sweet mini & the colors are presh!!!
    The details are fantastic!!

    Re: dress form -- oh my !! I love the sewing details!!
    Just perfection !!

    You've created 2 stunning projects with felt !!
    Xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melody, these are amazing! I love the album! So sweet! And you've decorated the wire dress form so beautifully! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Melody these projects are both so beautiful! I love felt and your flowers and details on the dress form and mini are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both projects are amazing, Melody! I love that felt album cover and beautiful dress form with felt flowers. :)

    ReplyDelete